Peile & Nicholson Directory of Whitehaven 1864


Corkickle, Floraville, Victoria Terrace, Hamilton Terrace, Waterloo Terrace, The Retreat, &c., are pleasantly situated at the outskirts of the town, and consist of well built houses, principally occupied by gentry.

Ginns is a densely populated district, on the opposite side to the above places, the direct road to which, is along the Coach Road, leading from Corkickle. The name is derived from and early attempt to get coal here, when both coals and water were drawn from pits by horses and vertical machines called Ginns. Here are three rows of houses, comprising nearly 300 dwellings, known by the name of the "New Houses," erected by Sir James LOWTHER, and occupied, rent free, by colliers in Lord LONSDALE's employ. Mr. WILKINSON's extensive potteries, and RANDLESON and FORSTER's chemical and colour works, are also in this locality.

- Until the year 1693, the only place of worship in the town was a "little old chapel," with a bell turret and a cross at the east end, situate in Chapel Street.

St. Nicholas (the old Church) is a plain stone structure, situate in Lowther Street, and was erected by Sir John LOWTHER and the inhabitants. It has a tower containing two bells and a clock, and was consecrated on July 16th, 1693, when the House of Commons was petitioned to make it parochial, but without success. The interior is very handsomely fitted up. It contains several mural tablets to the HUDDLESTONE Family, and has also a very fine toned organ, built by SNETZLER, placed here in 1756. The Rev F. W. WICKS, J. P., is the incumbent, and the Rev. W. H. JEMISON, curate. Clerk : Mr. Thos. WHITE. Organist: Mr. James COOPER. Sexton: Mr. Andrew MITCHELL, Church Street.

Holy Trinity Church is situated in Scotch Street, at the junction of Irish Street, and was built in 1715 by James LOWTHER, Esq., and inhabitants. The style of architecture is similar to that of St. Nicholas, and has a square tower, a bell, and a clock. The interior is neat but plain, and contains a marble monument, with an inscription in Latin, to the memory of Sir James LOWTHER, who died in 1755. The Rev. Canon DALTON, B. D., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Alexander EWING, curate. Clerk: Mr. Jeremiah KENDALL. Organist: Mr. Hamilton WHITE. Sexton: Mr. Wm. ROBINSON, Irish Street.

St James Church is situated in High Street, at the top of Queen Street, and is somewhat similar in appearance to the others. It was erected in 1752 (the Rev. Thomas SPEDDING being first minister), and has a square tower about 78 feet high, containing one bell and a clock. The Reverend Charles Agustus PERRING is the incumbent, and the Rev. Jeremiah Sharp TOMLINSON curate. Clerk: Mr. George WALKER. Organist: Mr. Matthew GOLIGHTLY. Sexton: Mr. Thomas BENNETT, Queen Street.

Page 8