Peile & Nicholson Directory of Whitehaven 1864

St BEES

...Lecturers. The average number of students is 100. The Free Grammar School was founded in 1583, by Edmund GRINDAL, Archbishop of Canterbury (a native of Hensingham, in this parish), under a charter from Queen Elizabeth. The scholars must be natives of the counties of Cumberland or Westmoreland, and they receive a classical or commercial education. There is a good library connected with the school. The priory church is an ancient cruciform structure, with tower rising from the centre, in which is a ring of eight bells. The interior consists of nave, aisles and transept. The body of the church is in the Gothic, and the tower in the Saxon style. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £103 per annum, in the gift of the Earl of Lonsdale; the Rev. G. H. AINGER is the incumbent. The church, college and grammar school are in the township of Preston Quarter, being separated from the township of St. Bees by a small rivulet (Poe Beck) that runs through one end of the village. The Whitehaven and Furness junction railway passes at one end of the village, at which place there is a station. Here is a National school for boys and girls; there is also a subscription news-room and library, of which Mrs. DICKINSON is the proprietor.


_________________

ST. BEES COLLEGE.
_________________

Principal: Rev. G. H. AINGER, D. D., late Fellow of St. Johnís College, Cambridge.
Tutor: Rev. J. E. MIDDLETON, M. A., Trinity College, Cambridge.
Lecturer: Rev. John SMALLPIECE, M. A., St. Johnís College, Cambridge.

__________________________

ST. BEES GRAMMAR SCHOOL.
__________________________

Governors.

The Earl of LONSDALE.
The Rev. Dr. JACKSON.
The Rev. H. LOWTHER.
The Rev. W. H. LEECH.
The Rev. G. H. AINGER, D. D.
Joseph P. SENHOUSE.

MASTERS.
Head Master: The Rev. G. H. HELSOP.
Head Masterís Assistant: Mr. E. W. WATTS.
Second Master: Mr. H. J. McGILL.
English Master: Mr. J. MACQUEEN.
Second English Master: Mr. SPENCE.
French Master: Mr. SCHMID.
Drawing Master: Mr. John ROOKE.

__________________

St BEES RESIDENTS.
__________________


AINGER, Rev. G. H., D. D., the Priory.
BALL, Mrs. Private Lodging house, Hampton Place.
BALL, Mr. Sergeant Richard, Main Street.
BELL, Mr. John, Grindall Place.
BENN, Mr. Joseph.
BIRKETT, Mr. Reuben, Blythe Place.
BOYLE, Mrs. I., milliner.
BRINDLE, James, Seacote Hotel.
BRITT, Mr. Samuel.
BROCKBANK, John, quarryman.
BROWN, William, blacksmith.
BURMAN, Mr. James, Main Street.
BURNYEAT, William, joiner, &c.
CANNON, Thomas, farmer.
CARTER, John, farmer.

Continued on Page 43
Page 42