Peile & Nicholson Directory of Whitehaven 1864

Whitehaven

THE MASONIC HALL is situated in College Street, and is occupied by the Sun, Square, and Compass Lodge (119), and the Lewis Lodge (No. 872). Secretary: W, COWIE.

THE UNION WORKHOUSE, situated on St. Bees Road, is a new building of red stone. It was erected in 1856, at a cost of £8000, and will accommodate 410 people. Master: Mr. George KELLY. Matron: Mrs. Mary KELLY. - The Board of Guardians meet at the Old Public Office, Lowther Street.

THE CEMETERY ( a view of which, taken from below the Reservoir, is given on the opposite page) is pleasantly situated on St. Bees Road, about a quarter of a mile from the town. It stands on the hill side, and the grounds are laid out with great taste. There are two chapels; one for the Church of England and the other for Dissenters. Curator: Mr. Wm. EMMERSON.

THE THEATRE ROYAL is a plain stone structure in Roper Street, built in 1769. The interior is neat and compact, and at the usual prices is calculated to hold about £35. The taste for dramatic performances has been greatly on decline of late years, owing no doubt to the want of proper management, and the lack of talent "on the boards." The present Lessee and Manager, Mr. M. N. PAUMIER, through his spirited and liberal attempts to cater for the public for three successive seasons, by the production of all the "latest" in the Theatrical line, has at length succeeded in again drawing crowded audiences.

THE WHITEHAVEN PLAY GROUND, CRICKET FIELD, AND BOWLING GREEN is at the end of Howgill Street. The ground, which covers an area of about six acres, was given for the purpose by the late Earl of Lonsdale. Annual subscriptions: - 10s for each member, and 5s for each apprentice not resident in his master's house and for any person living above two miles from town. To be paid in advance on the First day of May each year. Keeper of the field: Mr. James JONES, Howgill Street.

There is also a Bowling green, attached to an old Public House, a little beyond Mount Pleasant, on the hill above Wellington Pit. The limits of this ground have been gradually curtailed by the quarrying of stone from the hill side, and recently by the construction of the Battery for the use of the Volunteer Artillery Corps.

The celebrated Dean SWIFT, when a boy, is said to have lived at this house, and received the rudiments of his education in this town, being brought over here, from Ireland, by his nurse, who was a native of Whitehaven.

Page 16