Peile & Nicholson Directory of Whitehaven 1864

Whitehaven

The Wesleyan Methodist Free Church, Catherine Street. Minister: Rev. Wm. DAWSON. Services commence at half past Ten in the morning and six o'clock in the evening.

The Wesleyan Chapel (Michael Street or Back Street). Ministers: The Rev. John EATON and the Rev. Wm. CULLUM. The first Sunday School in the town was organized at this chapel. Service commences at half past ten in the morning and at six in the evening.

The Baptists have two small chapels, one in Charles Street and the other at Gore's Buildings, but there is no stated minister for either. Service commences at half past ten in the morning and six in the evening.

The Primitive Methodists for a long time occupied the 'Chapel at Mount Pleasant,' which was built in 1789, and now used as a candle manufactory. They have recently erected a very neat Stone Chapel in Howgill Street, but have no stated minister. Service commences at half pat ten in the morning and six in the evening.

The Society of Friends have their meeting house in Sandhills Lane. The times for Sunday Services vary monthly, but there is a meeting held every Wednesday morning at half past ten o'clock. Clerk to the meeting: John WALKER.

The Sailor's Bethel is in Strand Street. A prayer meeting is held on Sunday mornings at seven o'clock; at half past ten o'clock a sermon is preached in a large room at the Oddfellows Hall; at two o'clock in the afternoon a Band Meeting is held; and at six o'clock in the evening another Sermon is delivered. Every evening during the week service is held at the Bethel in Strand Street. Minister: Rev. William TOWNSEND.

The Working Men's Mission Room, Howgill Street. Sunday Services commence at half past ten in the morning, half past two in the afternoon, and at six in the evening. At five p.m. and open air service is held in the Market Place (weather permitting). Service is also held every evening during the week at half past seven. Minister: Wm. BURNS, Galemire.

A True Church of Christ meet for worship in the room over the Mason's Yard, adjoining the Guinea Warehouse, every Lord's Day, at half past ten in the morning and at half past six in the evening, and on Wednesdays and Fridays at half past seven in the evenings. On Lord's Day, at half past two p.m., Gospel sermons are preached on the North Wall (weather permitting). James TYSON, Conductor.

Page 10