- Category: April 27, 1899
DEATH OF MR. E.G. TOSH
We are deeply grieved to announce the death of Mr. Edmund George TOSH,
manager of the North Lonsdale Iron and Steel Company's work at South
Ulverston, which occurred on Saturday evening at his residence, The Lund, after a
painfully brief illness.
The deceased gentleman had apparently been in failing health for a
year or more, but although he contracted a somewhat severe cold at Easter, he was
able to attend his busy official public duties almost to the last, and did
not find it necessary to have medical advice.
On Tuesday week as usual, he attended the Manchester Exchange, and on
returning home in the evening complained of feeling somewhat unwell. Early
next morning he became alarmingly ill, and Dr. Fox JACKSON and Dr. COLLINS were
promptly summoned, and found him to be suffering from internal hemorrhage. Dr.
JOHNSON of Morecombe, an intimate friend of the family's, also arrived in
response to a telegram; and despite the best skill and closest attention of the
three medical gentlemen it soon became evident that the patient was beyond human
aid, and that he was sinking rapidly. Save a brief interval of consciousness,
he remained in a comatose state during Friday and Saturday, passing quietly
away about 6.30 p.m.
Mr. TOSH was in all relations of his life a gentleman in the truest
sense of the word, having by his uniform affability, uprightness and kindness of
heart gained the highest respect and esteem of all of whom he was brought
into close contact. Directly the sorrowful intelligence spread the flags at the
Liberal and Conservative Clubs and other public buildings were hoisted half-
Mr. TOSH whose very active and useful life has been cut off at the age
of 52 years, having been born at Maryport in 1847, was descended we believe
from Scottish parentage. His Father Mr. George TOSH, who is still living in
quiet retirement at Scunthorpe, near Doncaster, was in his early days a chief
engineer of the Maryport and Carlisle Railway Co., and afterwards for many years
a manager of the North Lincolnshire Iron Works.
Mr. TOSH, after serving a few years in the engineering sheds, had a
distinguished course of training in Chemistry and other sciences at Glasgow, and
afterwards in Germany taking at the latter place his degree of Ph.D. He then
commenced practice as an analytical chemist in Whitehaven, being succeeded by
the late Mr. J. W. MONTGOMERY, and from thence he went to Maryport to
undertake the management of Solway's Co.'s Works at Maryport. Mr. TOSH came to
Ulverston in the autumn of 1875, during the construction of the North Lonsdale Iron
and Steel Works, the furnaces of which were blown in the following May; and for
over 23 years he acted as manager to the company, a position he has filled
with great ability and energy. He was generally acknowledged to be not only a
good servant, but a good and honourable master. He was held in the highest
estimation by all the men under him for his fair, consistent and conscientious
treatment, and consequently there have been none of the labour difficulties so
often arising in similar industrial concerns. In fact no class will more
sincerely regret his loss than the staff and workmen of the North Lonsdale Ironworks.
As one of Ulverston's most prominent public men, Mr. TOSH will be greatly
missed, and his place will indeed be difficult to fill.
Mr. TOSH was for many years a leading member of the Old Local Board,
of which body he was chairman in 1884. He also had the honour of being the
first chairman of the newly constituted Urban Council and he remained a
representative for the East Ward up to the time of his death. Besides being at one time
chairman of the Finance Committee, he had for many years acted as chairman of
the Gas and Water Department, whilst his services on all the more important
special committees were highly valued. He was a frequent speaker, and indeed by
far the most polished and finished debater in the Council Chamber, and his
thoroughly broad intelligent grasp of every subject discussed or criticised by
him lent great weight to his opinions and statements.
Mr. TOSH always took the keenest possible interest in the Volunteer
movement. Soon after coming to Ulverston he joined the local detachment and
captain-commandant on the retirement of the late Mr. HANNAY, and proved one of
it's most popular and efficient officers. He resigned some years ago but
continued to the last to manifest interest in the welfare of the corps.
Mr. TOSH was a staunch churchman, and served as vicar's warden in the
time of the late Canon BARDSLEY, he especially identifying himself with the
concerns of St Jude's Church, and had long looked forward to the substitution of
a more comfortable and substantial edifice for the existing "little tin
church" a consummation which he has unhappily not lived to see.
In politics Mr. TOSH was a Conservative, and a chairman for the
Ulverston Polling district, and a vice-president and chairman of the Finance
Committee of the North Lonsdale Unionist Association, he was a veritable tower of
strength to his party. Not only on ordinary occasions but at each succeeding
Parliamentary election he threw himself with an amount of energy into the cause he
had at heart, and so stirred up the rank and file of the party that the two
fold victories of the late Mr. W. G. AINSLIE and also the return of the present
member for the North Lonsdale, Mr. R. F. CAVENDISH, were in a large measure
due to his exertions.
The deceased gentleman has left a widow and three daughters, and two
sons, the eldest of whom, Lieut. TOSH, has had the management under his father
of the newly opened out limestone quarry in Plumpton. In connection with the
peculiarly sorrowful event it is an additional saddening thought that Mr. and
Mrs. TOSH reached their silver wedding anniversary on Friday last, though the
former was not conscious enough to realise the fact, or to be aquainted with
the exceedingly numerous kindly and sympathetic messages that were received.
Mrs. TOSH is just recovering from a severe illness, and this has deeply
intensified the general feeling of genuine sympathy for the family in their heavy
The mortal remains of the deceased were laid to rest on Tuesday
morning in the Ulverston Cemetery, amid general manifestations of sorrow, the
funeral being by far the largest, most representative, and most imposing seen in
Ulverston since that of the late Mr. Myles KENNEDY. The mournful procession was
of great length, and the route to the cemetery was lined with sorrowing
The solemn cortege left The Lund at eleven a.m., the following being
the order of procession: - Volunteers in uniform, commanded by Major HUTHWAITE;
Fire Brigade, members of the Liberal Club and Association, members of the
Conservative Club and North Lonsdale Unionist Association, headed by Mr. R. F.
CAVENDISH, M. P., members of Public bodies, Cottage Hospital Committee, members
of the Urban Council and officials, the men of North Lonsdale Ironworks
(numbering 215), the office staff of the North Lonsdale Ironworks. The coffin, the
magnificent wreaths, was borne by relays of the foremen, followed by the
mourning coaches, directors in carriage, and 20 private carriages; a large body of
general public bringing up the rear.
The whole of the service, which was taken at the graveside, was of an
exceedingly impressive character, the officiating clergymen being the Rev. J.
U. N. BARDSLEY (the rector), the Rev. T. N. POSTLETHWAITE, and the Rev. Canon