The Genealogist - UK census, BMDs and more online


Saturday 27 Jan 1844   (p. 3, col. 6-7)



At Appleby, on Monday last, the wife of the Rev. John RICHARDSON, of the Grammar School, of a son.

At Birch Brook, Cheshire, on the 23rd instant, Mrs. DONALD, of a son.



On the 25th inst., at St. Mary's Church, by the Rev. Wm. REES, Mr. William BROWN, of this city, to Elizabeth, youngest daughter of the late Mr. ROBSON, of Barrockside.

On the 24th inst., at St. Cuthbert's Church, by the Rev. B. WARD, Mr. William H. POTTS, eldest son of the late Robert POTTS, Esq., of this city, to Martha, fourth daughter of Mr. HAIG, of Scuggar House, near this city.

At the Parish Church of St. Lawrence, on Saturday, 13th inst., Mr. William PATTINSON, saddler and ironmonger, Brough, to Elizabeth, the daughter of William RICHARDSON, Esq., Drybeck, near Appleby.

At Appleby, on the 20th inst., by the Rev. J. Milner, A.M., Mr. William PATTINSON, saddler, Brough, to Miss Elizabeth RICHARDSON, of Drybeck, near Appleby.

At Alston Church, on the 23rd instant, Mr. Ralph BILLANY, of Newcastle, to Miss Mary PATTINSON, of Alston; on the 25th, Mr. Thomas DICKINSON, to Miss Ann RICHARDSON, both of Alston; and on the same day, Mr. Robert VARTY, of Sheep Riggs, to Miss Mary JOHNSON, of the Turks Head inn, Alston.

At St. John's, Newcastle, on the 25th instant, Mr. Joseph HETHERINGTON, of Newcastle, to Miss Mary SMILLIE, of Penrith.

On Tuesday last, at Whitehaven, Mark CHURCHILL, mariner, to Miss Isabella FULTON, straw bonnet maker; on Sunday, at the Registrar's office, Mr. Edward WHITE, nailor, to Mrs. Mary HELLON.

At Arlecdon, on Saturday last, Mr. John WILSON, jun., of Kirkland How, to Miss Elizabeth JACKSON, of Eskat.

At Crosscanonby, on the 20th, Captain Henry SCURR, of the Stamper, to Miss THOMPSON, dress maker, both of Maryport; on the 22nd, Mr. James BELL, mariner, to Miss Frances HARRIS, both of Maryport.

At Abbey Church, on the 17th inst, by the Rev. J. SIMPSON, Mr. Jonathan MITCHELL, grocer and seed merchant, Cockermouth, to Mary, the eldest daughter of Mr. John DRAPE, yeoman, Kingside Hill, Holme Cultram.

On Tuesday last, at Walton, Lancashire, Edward, second son of John BOND, Esq., of Lancaster, and grandson of Mr. BOND, of Gaitsgill, near this city, to Sarah Jane, only daughter of the late Wm. POLLARD, Esq., of Crow Trees, near Bradford.

At Kendal, on the 14th instant, Mr. John ROBINSON, chaise-driver, to Hannah WALKER, both of that town.




In Union Street, on the 20th inst., after a long and painful illness, borne with christian resignation, Elizabeth, relict of the late Benjamin JOHNSTON, formerly of Brisco, in the 75th year of her age, much respected.

In Rickergate, on Sunday, the 21st inst., Mr. Peter JAMES, butcher, aged 55 years.

In Botchergate, on the 17th instant, Samuel ATKINSON, aged 59 years.

In Botchergate, on the 23rd inst., Mrs. Margaret THOMPSON, aged 51 years.

At the English Damside, on the 23rd inst., Mr. John IRVING, bricklayer, aged 40 years.

At Stanwix, on the 17th inst., Mary Ann, daughter of Thomas and Sarah WATSON, aged 3 years.

At Drawdykes Castle, on the 9th inst., in child birth, Ann, the wife of Mr. STORDY, aged 39 years, deeply regretted by her relatives and a numerous circle of friends.

At Kingstown, on Tuesday, the 23rd inst., Leonard ALLAN, aged 62, wheelwright and turner, after a lingering illness, which he bore throughout with christian fortitude and patient resignation; his loss will be long felt by a large circle of acquaintances.

On Friday last, at Cumwhinton, aged 95 years, Mrs. COULSON, mother of Mr. John COULSON, of that place.

At Moorhouses, in the parish of Kirklinton, on the 13th instant, Mr. Thomas JOHNSON, railway contractor ans [sic] stonemason, aged 57 years.

At Longtown, on the 22nd inst., Mrs. Margaret ROBINSON, in the 70th year of age. She was much respected by all who knew her.

At Penrith, on the 24th inst., Joseph ARMSTRONG, skinner, aged 36 years.

At Annan, on the 18th inst., at the house of his uncle, Mr. John ROXBURGH, bacon-curer, Mr. William ROXBURGH, aged 22 years.

At Shambelly, on the 19th instant, William STEWARD, Esq., of Shambelly.

At Swordwell, near Annan, Mr. Thomas ROME, farmer, at an advanced age.

At Langholm, on the 13th inst., Euphemia, daughter of Mr. Robert SCOTT, mason, aged 26 years; on the 21st, David, son of Mr. Wm. SCOTT, weaver, aged 6 years.

At Old Irving, by Langholm, on the 18th inst., Mr. William AITCHINSON, farmer, in the prime of life.

At Casewell-hill Estate Vere, Jamaica, on the 11th December last, Thomas WALTON, aged 23 years, youngest son of Mr. John WALTON, land-surveyor, Kiroswald [sic]. It may be truly said, that through life he was highly respected, and his death greatly lamented.

At Hoff-row, near Appleby, on the 12th instant, of scarlet fever, Ann, daughter of Mr. John FAWCETT, aged seven years.

At Kirber, near Appleby, on the 19th instant, Margaret, second daughter of Mr. Joseph DODD, in her 25th year. She was followed to her grave by a numerous circle of relatives and friends, by whom she was much and deservedly respected.

At Appleby, on Tuesday last, Isaac WINDER, nephew of Mr. James CLARK, aged 17 years.

On Thursday last, at Whitehaven, Michael WALKER, Esq., aged 58 years; at the Scotch-street Workhouse, January 18, Jane MOSSOP, aged 25 years; in Peter-street, Mary SWAILS, aged 4 years; at the Infirmary, last week, Mr. Patrick MERRY, aged 48 years; last week, deeply lamented, the Rev. John GRAHAM, in the 79th year of his age, after nearly fifty years of successful labour in York as Rector of St. Saviour's and St. Mary Bishophill, senior. Mr. GRAHAM was a native of Cumberland, and was educated at St. Bees.

On ths [sic] 16th instant, at Easthwaite, in Irton, after a long and painful illness, Margaret, daughter of the late Mr. Lancelot PORTER, yeoman, aged 24 years.

At Cockermouth, on Tuesday, the 23rd instant, Mr. James DIXON, husbandman, advanced in years.

On Wednesday last, in Sand Went, Cockermouth, Mr. Thomas LADYMAN, aged 23 years, engineer at the Goat Mills, near that town. The remains of the deceased were interred at Cockermouth Church on Sunday last, and being a member of the Order of Oddfellows, they were followed to the grave by a large procession of the brethren, and an immense concourse of the inhabitants. Mr. J. RICHARDSON, jun., read the accustomed service of the order over the corpse of his departed brother, and a most admirable sermon on the occasion was afterwards delivered by the worthy minister, the Rev. E. FAWCETT, to a most attentive and crowded congregation.

At Cockermouth, on Thursday last, Ann, the wife of Mr. Hugh CAIN, aged 37 years; and on the same day, at the Goat, near Cockermouth, Mr. Abraham DALE, thread-maker, aged 26 years.

On Friday morning, the 19th, on the 36th year of her age, Ellen, the beloved wife of Mr. Jacob G. J. IRELAND, of Kendal; on Tuesday the 16th inst., Agnes, fourth daughter of Mr. R. SHAW, Temperance Hotel, Kendal, aged 16 years.

At Tynemouth, on the 17th instant, Miss Ann PROUD, aged 50 years—much respected.

At Hastings, on the 22nd instant, Richard ADDISON, Esq., solicitor, Mecklenburgh Square, London, in his 59th year.

At the Hermitage, Hackthorpe, on Tuesday, the 23rd inst., of paralysis, Ann Parker, wife of Mr. Jacob THOMPSON, artist, aged 43 years, and sister to G. P. BIDDER, Esq., the eminent civil engineer.

DEATH OF MR. HOBLER.— We regret to state that the venerable Mr. HOBLER, who was clerk to the Mansion-house for 54 years, died on Tuesday, at his residence in Queen's-row, Pentonville. He was in his 80th year. He had only recently retired, and his portrait had within a few weeks past been hung up in the justice-room at the Mansion-house, as a mark of respect for his long services.

At Bath, on Wednesday last, in the 69th year of his age, Sir R. L. FITZGERALD, Knight, K.C.H., Vice-Admiral of the Red. Sir Robert was the half-pay of Rear-Admiral.

J. STRUTT, Esq., of Derby, who had attained the goodly age of nearly 80. He was the head of the eminent manufacturing firm of that name.

Lately, at Colmar, in the Haut Rhin, an Israelite, at the age of 98, leaving an immense fortune, accumulated by buying and selling land, by purchasing reversions, and by granting loans at usurious interest. He was blind for the last twenty years of his life. Between 6,000 and 7,000 persons owed him money, and whenever it was required to settle an account with any one of these he immediately gave, from memory, an accurate statement of every item, principal and interest, dates and circumstances, being, in fact, a living journal and ledger.—Galignani.

THE LATE GENERAL COMTE D'ORSAY.—The following is from La Presse of the 5th:—"Lieutenant-General Comte D'ORSAY died in the arms of his children, at the Chateau de Rupt (Haute Saone), deeply regretted by all the inhabitants of the country. His funeral gave rise to the most touching demonstration of public attachment, to the most honourable testimonies of regret and grief. Impatient again to see his country from which the French Revolution had driven him, Comte D'ORSAY returned to France before the emigrants were permitted to do so. He was arrested, and conducted to the Temple, out of which he only came at the intercession of Madame DE BEAUHARNOIS, afterwards the Empress Josephine, who threw herself at the feet of BARRAS to obtain his pardon; he was then carried to the frontier. A few years after, profiting by the general amnesty granted by the Emperor Napoleon to the emigrants, he entered the service of France, and became chief of a battalion in the 112th regiment of the line. He distinguished himself in the campaigns of Italy, making part of the corps of Prince Eugene, who had just joined the grand army at the time of the battle of Wagram. He was wounded at Raab by a shot in the ankle, but still remained at the head of his soldiers during the rest of the campaign. He was the first to enter the town. Some days afterwards the Emperor, passing before him, took off his own Cross of the Legion of Honour, and presented it to him, saying, 'Vous etes aussi brave que vous etes beau.' He at the same time received the title of Baron, which the Emperor conferred upon him, with a pension of 8,000 francs, and this consoled for the loss of his annual income of 800,000 francs, which the revolution had taken from him. Appointed colonel of the 122nd regiment of the line in Spain, he rejoined the division of BOSSUET [this should probably be BONET], at the battle of Salamanca. In view of the whole army, he distinguished himself by a noble feat of arms in taking at full speed one of the mamelons of the Arapiles, which he maintained against all the attacks of the English and Portuguese. He then seized the village of the Arapiles, which he defended during four hours, against the English Guards, and lost 550 men and twenty-two officers. General MORMONT sent during the attack, to compliment Colonel D'ORSAY upon his brilliant conduct. At the retreat of Vittoria he formed the rear-guard of the whole army, and saved the King Joseph, whom he placed in the middle of a company of his voltigeurs. At Pampeluna he received a ball in the knee, from an English soldier; and was saved by the devotion of the sappers of his regiment. The Emperor named him General of Brigade and Officer of the Legion of Honour. After the abdication of the Emperor he took the oath of allegiance to Louis the Eighteenth. In 1815 the Emperor sent one of his aides-de-camp to offer him the command of a division. General D'ORSAY finding himself bound by an oath, from which he had not been freed, would not accept these offers. On the formation of the guard he took the command of the first division. He was afterwards named Lieutenant-General, Commander of the Legion of Honour, and some years later, Grand Cordon of St. Louis, and Gentleman of the King's Chamber. An important post in Spain was confided to him. He commanded the line of the Ebro, and established his general quarters at Vittoria. Touched by his paternal administration, the town of Vittoria made him a present of a sword, as a proof of its gratitude. Offered by a hostile town, such a recompense was the noblest that an old soldier could desire. From that epoch Comte D'ORSAY retired to his estate, where he did so much good that his name remains, with the memory of his good deeds, as indestructible as the old tower of Rupt, which is the most remarkable monument on the banks of the Saone. Here it was that he finished his career of military glory and chivalric loyalty."