Saturday 27 Nov 1841   (p. 3, col. 6)



At Prisciila Cottage, Welton, on the 15th instant, the lady of John HARRINGTON, Esq., of a daughter.



At St. Mary's Church, on Monday, the 22nd instant, Mr. William LANCASTER, to Miss Susannah GILL, both of the Chapelry of Wreay.

At St. Cuthberth's Church, on the 25th inst., Mr. William COTTRELL, to Miss Frances RESWICK [sic – KESWICK according to FreeBMD], both of this city.

At the Catholic Chapel, on the 16th instant, Mr. John RIGG, umbrella manufacturer, to Frances HAMILTON, daughter of Mr. Phillip HAMILTON, draper, Great Corby.

On Thursday morning, the 25th instant, at the Presbyterian Chapel, in communion with the Established Church of Scotland, by the Rev. John PARK, Mr. James FORSYTH, of High Hespley, Northumberland, to Miss Mary BELL, of Low Crosby.

At St. Philip's Church, Liverpool, on Wednesday last, by the Rev. T. L. TOWNSHEND, Mr. Robert NELSON, of Liverpool, formerly of this city, to Miss A. STUBBS, of Rowen Burn, near Langholm.

On Thursday, the 18th inst., by the Right Hon. and Rev. Lord Charles POULETT, Edward HORSMAN, Esq., M.P. for Cockermouth, to Charlotte Louisa, daughter of the late J. C. RAMSDEN, Esq., M.P., and sister to Sir W. RAMSDEN, Bart.

At Wigton, on Monday, the 22nd instant, by the Rev. J. IRVING, W. B. ATCHESON, Victoria House, Grey-street, Newcastle, to Ann, fourth daughter of Jeremiah SMITH, Esq., of Standing Stone; at the same place, on Saturday, the 20th instant, Mr. William BORRIDAILE, farmer, Glasson, to Miss Hannah SANDERSON, of High Moorhouse, near Wigton.

At Alston, on the 25th inst., Mr. Jonathan HARRISON, of High Physic Hall, to Miss Ann WILKINSON, of Nenthead.

At Whitehaven, on Tuesday, the 16th instant, Mr. Philip MELVIN, husbandman, to Miss Margaret TRENNELL; same place, on Saturday, the 20th instant, Mr. Joseph RAMSBOTTOM, blacksmith, to Miss Eleanor ALLAN; same place, and on the same day, Mr. William FINLINSON, shoe maker, to Miss Ruth MUSGRAVE; same place, on Sunday, the 21st instant, Mr. T. COCKBAIN, to Miss Ann MOSSOP.

At Egremont, on Saturday, the 20th instant, Mr. Jonathan EILBECK, blacksmith, Whitehaven, to Miss Mary JOHNSTON, of Egremont.

At Workington, on Sunday last, Mr. Adam WILEY, to Miss Frances AGER.

At Arlecdon, on Saturday, the 20th inst., Mr. David ROPER, to Miss Eleanor SMITH; same place, and on the same day, Mr. John PATTINSON, to Miss Esther NEEN; at the same place, and also on the same day, Mr. John SIMPSON, to Miss Mary BEATTIE.

At Camerton, on Saturday, the 13th instant, Mr. William JOHNSTON, to Miss Mary Ann CAMPBELL; at the same place, on Tuesday, the 16th instant, Mr. Joseph NEALY, to Miss Maria FURNESS, all of Seaton.

At Brigham, on Saturday last, the 20th instant, Mr. Henry WOOD, Greysouthen, to Miss Martha MARTIN, of Broughton Cross.

At Cockermouth, by the Rev. E. ELLIOT, on Saturday, the 20th instant, Mr. Thomas SMITH, saddler, to Miss Nancy LEWIS, dress-maker; same place, Mr. William SKURR, saddler, to Miss Caroline SCOTT, dress-maker.

At All Saints Church, Manchester, on the 12th instant, by the Rev. C. BURTON, L.L.D.F.L.S., Mr. Joseph Lancaster ROBINSON, only son of the late Mr. Joseph ROBINSON, Rose Place, Liverpool, to Jane, third daughter of Mr. William STODDART, Dean Scales, near Cockermouth.

At Cockermouth, at the Registrar's Office, on Sunday, the 14th instant, Mr. Joseph KERR, of Greysouthen, to Miss Mary ARMSTRONG, of Dovenby; at the same place, on Monday, the 15th inst., Mr. William LAMONBY, of Cockermouth, to Miss Isabella MATHEWS, of Snittlegarth; at the same place, on the 16th instant, Mr. Samuel THOMPSON, to Miss E. HOPE, both of Cockermouth.

At Crosthwaite Church, on Wednesday, the 17th instant, Mr. George WILKINSON, of Threlkeld, near Keswick, to Miss Mary WALKER, of Fornside, St. Johns; at the same place, on Saturday, the 20th instant, Mr. Abraham WREN, pencil manufacturer, Forge, near Keswick, to Elizabeth, only daughter of Mr. Timothy LADYMAN, Keswick; same place, and on the same day, Mr. Abraham WREN, to Miss Sarah BEWSHOW [BEWSHA according to FreeBMD], both of Underskiddaw, near Keswick; same place, and on the same day, Mr. Joseph BLACKBURN, to Miss Mary WREN, both of Underskiddaw, near Keswick; at the same place, and also on the same day, Mr. Thomas BELL, of Thornthwaite, to Miss Mary MOOR, of Keswick.

At Hawkshead, on the 13th instant, Mr. MEDCALF, of Bowness, surgeon, to Miss Margaret WILSON, of the Ferry Inn, Windermere.

At Edinburgh, on the 23rd inst., by the Rev. L. BIGG WITHER, James T. GIBSON CRAIG, second son of Mr. James GIBSON CRAIG, Bart., of Riccarton, to Jane, second daughter of Sir J. P. GRANT, of Rothiemurchus, and widow of the late Colonel PENNINGTON, of the Bengal Artillery.




In Union Street, on Friday, the 19th instant, Mrs. Letitia BROWN, aged 70 years.

In Sowerby Street, Botchergate, on Saturday, the 20th instant, Mr. Richard ROBINSON, musician, aged 54 years.

In London Road, on Tuesday last, Mr. Michael HUTCHINSON, aged 21 years.

In St. Mary's Workhouse, on the 20th inst., Mr. Dennis M'GEE, aged 30 years.

In Castle Street, since our last, Mr. Peter QUIN, in the 42nd year of his age.

In Finkle Street, on the 21st instant, Mrs. Jane WILSON, aged 74 years.

At the English Damside, on the 20th inst., Mrs. Ann THOMPSON, aged 85 years.

At Heads Nook, in the Parish of Hayton, on the 20th inst., Miss Mary Ann FISHER, in her 15th year.

At Capon Tree, near Brampton, on the 23rd inst., Mrs. NIXON, aged 65 years.

At Malsburn, Stapelton, on the 20th inst., Mr. John LITTLE, surgeon, aged 53 years—much respected.

At Wigton, on Friday, the 19th instant, Mary, wife of Mr. George RAY, aged 76 years; same place, on Satuarday [sic], the 20th instant, Mr. Alexander JARDINE, aged 63 years; at the same place, on Sunday, the 20th instant, John, son of Mr. John CORKHILL, aged 21 years.

At Alston, on Friday, the 19th instant, Mr. John ROE, aged 93 years.

At Wanwood, near Alston, on the 20th inst., Mr. Abraham ENGLISH, butcher, aged 57 years.

At Penrith, on the 20th inst., Mrs. Margaret JUAR, widow, aged 72 years; at the same place, on the 23rd instant, Mrs. ROBISON, widow of the late Mr. ROBISON, jeweller and ironmonger, of Penrith, advanced in years.

At Cockermouth, on Tuesday, the 23rd instant, Mr. John HODGSON, brewer, aged 47 years; a man highly respected by all who knew him, and whose loss will be deeply felt, not only by his own family, but by the whole town. [Mr. HODGSON will, indeed, be a great loss to the town of Cockermouth generally, and to the liberal party in particular, of which he was at once an ornament and a prop. He was a man of sterling integrity, kind-hearted, and humane, and possessed an amount of information on most general subjects of conversation far beyond what might be expected from one in his sphere of life. His loss will be long felt, and his memory cherished by a large circle of acquaintance.]

At the Union Workhouse, Cockermouth, on Wednesday, the 17th instant, Mr. Nicholas BAINBRIDGE, basket-maker, formerly of Little Broughton, aged 79 years.

At Whitehaven, on Saturday morning, the 20th instant, Captain HANNAY, of the brigg Success, aged 32 years; at the same place, Mr. William JOHNSTON, aged 27 years.

In the Preston Quarter Work-house, on Sunday, the 21st instant, Mr. Isaac WILLIAMSON, aged 84 years, formerly of Distington.

At Workington, since our last, Mr. Daniel SIMPSON, watchmaker, aged 77 years; and Mr. James TYSON, waggoner, in the prime of life.

At Cumlands, in Drigg, since out last, Miss Hannah HODGKIN, in the prime of life.

At Keswick, on the 17th instant, Mr. Henry STODDART, formerly a woollen manufacturer, father of Dr. STODDART, aged 63 years.

At Ulverston, on Monday, the 15th instant, Mr. James SPENCER, cabinet-maker, aged 24 years; same place, on the 18th instant, Mr. Matthew HIGGIN, aged 43 years.

At Golborne, in the county of Lancaster, on Monday, the 15th instant, in the 84th year of her age, Mrs. Ann SIBSON, widow, of the Rev. John SIBSON, formerly incumbent of Lorton and Mosses [sic], in this county.

At Rosgill, near Shap, on Saturday, the 13th instant, Mary, relict of the late Mr. Robert HINDSON, aged 76—much respected.

At the house of his son, Mr. P. T. CHAMBERS, surgeon, Newgate Street, Newcastle, on the 17th inst., in the 90th year of his age, the Rev. James CHAMBERS, M.A. Mr. CHAMBERS received his classics education in the college of Glasgow, and left it at the age of 21 years, when he entered upon his pastoral duties in Carlisle; and afterwards went to Enfield, in the county  of Middlesex, in 1793; whence he removed, under the American government, to Philadelphia, in the State of Pennsylvania, U.S., in 1795, where he remained nine years, and had the honour of preaching before Congress—which Congress placed him at the head of the College of that State. The yellow fever prevailing to a great extent in that country, Mr. C. returned to England, and settled in Longtown, Cumberland, in 1805. He removed thence to Rothbury, in Northumberland, where he remained some years. At this time, Mr. C. received a call to the Castle Garth Dissenting Chapel, Newcastle, (a place of great popularity at that time) and finished his ministerial career in Newcastle. Mr. CHAMBERS, while in the prime of life, was courted in all parts of England and Scotland, and had the pleasure of preaching (by desire) before the most respectable congregations in Cumberland, Northumberland, Durham, and the south of England. In short, Mr. CHAMBERS has died universally respected—was a polished classic scholar—and, during his life-time, taught the foreign languages to many of the noblemen and young gentlemen in this country and abroad.

DEATH OF MR. EGERTON SMITH.—It is with feelings of grief, the poignancy of which none can conceive but those who have long and intimately known the deceased, that we have to announce the death of Mr. Egerton SMITH, the founder, editor, and principal proprietor of the Liverpool Mercury. This melancholy event took place on Thursday night. Mr. SMITH had been unwell for many months, but neither he nor his friends anticipated a fatal termination to his illness until within the last day or two. When he knew that his last hour was come, he met it with a cheerfulness, fortitude, and resignation, which must have arisen from a consciousness that he had spent a long life in doing, or attempting to do, good to all mankind—that he had never wilfully injured any human being—and that if it be indeed true religion to cheer the hearts of the widow and the fatherless—to provide a home for the destitue [sic], and ever to act upon the golden rule, "do unto others as you would that they should do unto you," then the change must be for him a blessed one. No man that ever lived had better grounds for such reflections; and it must be some consolation to his friends, notwithstanding the magnitude of their bereavement, to know that the tears and blessings of thousands will follow him to the grave. His universal philanthropy, extending even to the brute creation, has made his name known to the farthest corner of the world. As a patriot, husband, father, and friend, he has left no superior; and we are sure that all who read this hurried and imperfect notice, to whatever political party or religious creed they may belong, will sympathise, more or less, in the feelings with which it is penned, and admit, that in Egerton SNITH, Liverpool has lost one of its best citizens, the poor a benefactor, and the cause of humanity, freedom, and civilization, at home and abroad, one of its most zealous, most consistent, and most disinterested champions.—Liverpool Mercury.

DEATH OF THE EARL OF ELGIN.—The death of this noble Earl causes a vacancy in the representation of Southampton, his eldest son (late Lord BRUCE, now Earl of Elgin) being one of its Tory representatives. The late Earl was a family trustee of the British Museum; and formerly represented our Court at Constantinople; and during his residence there, made the collection of Grecian antiquities called, after him, the Elgin marbles. He was also a Scotch representative Peer, and a General in the army.

DEATH OF THE MARQUIS OF LOTHIAN.—We have to announce the death of the Marquess of Lothian, which took place at the seat of the Dowager Lady Suffield, on Sunday week. The deceased, John William Robert KERR, Marquess and Earl of Lothian, Earl of Ancrum, Baron of Newbottle, Jedburgh, &c., and Baron KERR, of Kerraheugh, county Roxburgh, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom, who was born 1st February, 1794, was eldest son of the late William, sixth Marquess, by his first marriage with Lady Harriet HOBART, eldest daughter of John, second Earl of Buckinghamshire, whose marriage with Armar LOWRY, first Earl of Belmore, was dissolved in 1793. He succeeded his father in the family title and estates 27th April, 1824. The deceased Marquess was Lord Lieutenant of Roxburghshire, and Colonel of the county and city of Edinburgh.

The Queen Dowager of Bavaria, Frederica Wilhelmina Carolina, died at Munich, of a complaint in the chest, on the 13th instant. Her Majesty, who was daughter of Prince Charles Louis of Baden, and niece of the present Grand Duke, was born on the 13th July, 1776, and consequently was in her 66th year, leaving five children—Elizabeth Louisa, Queen of Prussia; Amelia Augusta, married to Prince John, brother of the King of Saxony; Frederica Sophia Dorothea, married to the Archduke Francis of Austria; Maria Anna Leopoldina, Queen of Saxony; and Louis Wilhelmina, consort of Duke Maximilian Joseph of Bavaria.