During the afternoon many day visitors sought in vain for tea; so great was
the trade of confectioners that they all could not accommodate all. On
Sunday the wind changed from east to west, and this certainly favoured the
flowing tide. Long before mid-day the steam tugs and salvage boats were
again alongside and made fast - the Ranger and the Cruiser towing astern and
the Wrestler on the starboard quarter, close by the ship, pulled for all
they were worth. Several hundred people stood again on the shore at 12 o'
clock and gazed seawards, At last, when few expected it, the ships were SEEN
TO MOVE a little, and continued to creep on and on till they gained deeper
water. The speed increased and the ensign was hoisted on the Hougomont as a
sign of victory. On board a cheer was raised for the chief engineer; and on
shore expressions of joy, thankfulness, and regret were heard that at last
she was away. Having towed her clear of the ground, the tugs got hold of
her bows and soon sped away to the Maryport roads, where anchor was cast,
and divers were sent down to the damaged sides. On Monday morning an
attempt was made to reach Liverpool, but nearing St. Bees the weather and
sea became so rough that the ships were forced to put back into Maryport as
the three steam pumps, big as they were, could not keep down the water. She
was safely berthed in the Senhouse Dock Basin. The big hole left by the
Hougomont on Allonby sands constitutes A SERIOUS DANGER to fishermen and
bathers, and ought to be staked in order to keep people from walking into
the dam which is eight to ten feet deep and 30 feet wide and 100 yards long,
and is exactly opposite the vicarage. Of course this is many hundreds of
yards from the shore, but it must be attended to in the near future. When
the ship came over the Scaurs she buried many a big boulder by sheer weight:
one stone bigger that the rest has been smashed on the top and most probably
made a hole in the ship. A deep gutter was ploughed up through the scaurs
and sands on Sunday as the tugs hauled her away; and this mark will remain
for weeks to come to show the way to the great lair in which this fine
vessel was so firmly gripped for 14 days.