- Transcribed by unknown author unknown author
- Edition: February 16, 1877 February 16, 1877
There was a meeting of the Local Authority of Cumberland held on last Saturday at Carlisle. Captain JAMES was in the chair. A large number of magistrates were present. The principal business was to consider a letter from the Privy Council stating that the plague was spreading in London, and urging on the Local Authorities the necessity of adopting precautionary measures to protect their districts from the plague, as it was feared that some cattle, which had been in contact with the diseased animals in the London district, had been moved into the country. The subject was fully considered, and resolutions were passed authorising Mr. DUNNE to do what appears to be necessary to secure an efficient and rally trustworthy system of inspection, by the superintendents of police and qualified veterinaries, of the cattle and other animals exhibited at all the fairs, markets, and auction marts throughout the county, with a view to endeavour to guard against the introduction of the plague, and other contagious diseases. Also, in the event of any case of plague occurring, to have the diseased cattle immediately slaughtered, and to have all the animals which may be in contact with the diseased cattle at the fairs, or markets, or other places, seized, and detained till disposed of as directed by law and the orders of the Local Authority. If an outbreak should occur, an infected area of a radius of one mile round the diseased place will be declared, along the boundaries of which a cordon of police will be formed for the purpose of completely isolating the diseased place, and effectually cutting off all communication therewith, excepting under very careful supervision and strict disinfection.
It was by a similar system of inspection, isolation, and disinfection that three-fourths of Cumberland, and all the county of Westmorland, was saved from the ravages of the plague 11 years ago. Then there were two frontier lines formed at the northern and southern extremities of where the plague had extended to. One was from Alston to Allonby, the other from the Dent Mountains, near Kirkby Lonsdale, to Morecambe Bay. Large bodies of police and other men and mounted patrols were constantly on duty night and day for the purpose of stopping the movement of all cattle, and preventing such communication as would be likely to introduce the plague within the lines. Horses, conveyances, &c., which had to necessarily pass over the lines were washed with carbolic acid. Stringent regulations were carried out regarding dogs, cats, and other animals, which would be likely to carry the disease from one place to another, and the tramps were offered the choice of undergoing a fumigation and cleansing, or turning back into the districts they had come from, taking care at the same time to give them any relief they stood in need of. At the time the farmers co-operated most cheerfully with the magistrates, and rendered very material assistance. They might also, now when the county is almost free from those diseases, protect themselves to a great extent from the serious losses and troubles which result from the pests, for it is a fact beyond any dispute that the plague, pleuro-pneumonia, and foot-and-mouth disease have been brought into the county by the diseased cattle which have been bought at fairs and markets, and if the farmers and others who are intending to buy cattle would only take a little trouble to have them properly examined before buying the, they would save themselves from the risk of taking home diseased animals, and by that means introducing the plague, or the other diseases, among their own and their neighbours' healthy herds and flocks.