An inquest was held at the King's Head Inn, Thirlspot on Wednesday night, by

Wm. Wilkin Lumb Esq., deputy coroner, touching the death of William Cartmel

aged nineteen years, whose body had been found in Howe beck on the previous

Monday  evening in the circumstances narrated in the evidence reported

below . The following gentlemen composed the jury :-Messars Reuben Thwaites

(foreman). John Bristow, John Hawkrigg sen.,  Charles Birkett, Isaac

Bristow, John Dowthwaite, John Birkett, Thos Nixon,  John Hawkrigg jun.,

Richard Fleming, Seatree, and Joseph Branthwaite.

John Robinson, landlord of the King's Head Inn said the deceased was his

nephew and had been with him for nine years. The deceased was nineteen years

of age, and was engaged as husbandman and general assistant. Witness last

saw him alive on Monday at about a quarter to eleven , but did not have much

talk with him. Witness said he kept the post office, and the deceased

delivered the Armboth and Dalehead letters. On Monday came into the bar

where witness was sorting the letters after the arrival of the postman from

Keswick  and talked to the postman. There were four or five letters for

Dalehead , Armboth, and neighbourhood and the deceased said, " Are these all?

The deceased took them and left the house, and that was the last witness saw

of him alive, The deceased generally drove the market people to Keswick on a

Saturday and he left at about half past eight in the morning and returned at

something after three. Witness saw that he then somewhat the worse for

drink , for when he left the conveyance he neither loosed the horse nor did

anything for it. He went into the room where Witness was with his wife who

was ill. He walked to the fire, then to the window, and then left the room.

No word was spoken by any of them. In about ten minutes he returned and

said , '' My father is coming to see you to-night, and I have to go and see

their folk.' Witness did not quite catch what he said, and Mrs. Robinson

told him that William wanted to go home. Witness then said to the deceased,

"Hang some corn to the horse before you go " he asked for his better

clothes , and Mrs Robinson gave him the keys. He left by the coach and did

not return until after closing time on Sunday night. He was up on Monday

morning and did his usual work, he came into the kitchen at about half-past

seven to his breakfast, and after having eaten it he asked what he was to

do . Witness told him to thresh some corn, and then fodder the sheep on the

fell side, but returned just as the postman came from Keswick. After

finishing with the letters, witness went to Smeathwaite and when he returned

Mrs. asked where William was, saying also that the girls had been "lating" "

him to his dinner and could not find him Witness thought he bad gone to lie

down some where, as he had been out rather late at nights just previously.

Witness thought he might have gone to the hoghouse, a little distance from

the homestead and while going through the sheepfold which is in the same

direction , he came across foot prints in the snow, which he followed across

the field and when nearly at the beck saw the deceased's cap lying on the

bank , and, immediately afterwards his body in the stream Witness who was

startled at the sight, exclaimed " Oh dear, Willie ! " and ran back to give

the alarm at Dalehead and Fisherplace,  The deceased bad not been in the

habit of drinking. Witness did not suspect anything wrong with him He had

nothing whatever to trouble him. He we a healthy lad and was not subject to

fits . Witness had never scolded him and had no reason to think he would put

an end to himself.  Mrs. Robinson sent for five or six things from Keswick

by him that Saturday and he forgot four.

The place was not a likely One to Choose to commit suicide, but the brook

was covered with ice at other places , The deceased had no reason to go into

the field there was no stock in it. Mr. Birkett and Mr Thwaite fetched the

body away. -

 Thomas Nixon, gardener in employment with Manchester Corporation, said he

had known the deceased for five or six years. Ho was a nice cheerful young

man , and to all appearances hearty and well, Witness last saw him alive

about twenty minutes to twelve on Monday. he had asked witness to go with

him to Dalehead, and as witness had an errand there he went. He did not talk

much , but seemed rather in a low way. Witness had never seen him tipsy

except on the previous Saturday, and thought he might be ashamed.

The place was not a likely one for any one to put an end to himself. If he

had taken a fit he might have fallen in. There was no footpath to the place

where the deceased was found.

John Birkett, builder, Legburthwaite, said he had known the deceased for

eight or nine years, but had not seen him for a week or so past. He was an

industrious steady young man. Witness was called by Mr. Robinson, and he

found the deceased lying in the stream, partly on one aide, with his face

down ' There might he 18 inches depth water. The body was bare at the back

he had on all his clothes except his hat, His watch was in his pocket,

going , round at correct time. There was also a pipe some tobacco and matches

in his pockets There were no marks of violence on body beyond the mark on

his face.

Inspector Richardson said he saw the deceased at Keswick, near the Queen's

Hotel, at about eleven o'clock on Saturday night. Ho was very drunk. Witness

saw that his face, was scarred, and asked him what had been the cause; but

he would not reply. One of the constables said he was the boy from

Thirlspot . He left the street and went down to High Hill, where he stayed

all night.

The coroner summed up in favour of an open verdict, and the jury returned

one of drowned."