THE DEATH OF A
The death is announced, at the Hall, Penny Bridge, near Ulverstone, in
the 84th year of his age, of Mr. John Penny MACHELL, one of the oldest
justices of the peace and deputy lieutenants for the county of Lancaster.
Mr. MACHELL's family ranked among the most ancient in the county, one of
his ancestors being John MACHELL of Brackenthorpe, Westmorland, in whose
house, according to Lingard, King Henry VI, took refuge after the famous battle
The deceased was the eldest son of James Penny MACHELL, his younger
brother being the late Rev. James MACHELL, M. A.
In early life he was sent to Hawkshead Grammar School, then under the
head mastership of "old BOWMAN," under whom the poet WORDSWORTH finished his
early education. He subsequently went to Rugby, and from Rugby to Christ
Mr. MACHELL numbered among his friends, WORDSWORTHS, COLERIDGES, SOUTH
EYS, DE QUINCEY, Professor WILSON, and other celebrities of the neighbourhood.
He was married in 1837 to Eliza, fourth daughter of the late Lord Chief
Justice DALLAS by whom he leaves issue one daughter Justina Madeline MACHELL.
He lived a very retired life, and beyond the immediate vicinity of his
residence was personally little known.
Mr. MACHELL leaves property estimated between £2,000,000 and £3,000,000,
the bulk of which, it is believed, will descend to the son of Captain
MACHELL, well known in connection with the turf, who is the deceased's nephew.