- Transcribed by unknown author unknown author
- Edition: Saturday, April 11, 1931 Saturday, April 11, 1931
KIRKBY - WOODEND
A large crowd of well wishers admired the charm of Miss. Florence WOODEND, the second of five daughters of Mr. and Mrs. J. F. WOODEND, as she walked with her father the few yards which separate her home in Main Street from the Wesleyan Church, where she was married to Mr. Henry Kirkby, a well known local preacher and Sunday School worker, who lives with relatives at 46, Main Street, Frizington.
In brilliant sunshine the bride looked radiant in a medieval gown of ivory satin and embroidered coatee with diamond buckle, and her silken veil was held in place by a wreath of orange blossom. Silver stockings and brocade shoes completed her attire, and she carried a large bouquet of pink carnations, trimmed with asparagus fern. She wore a necklet of blister pearls, the gift of the groom.
Attending her were her sister, Betty, and Miss. Hannah KIRKBY, both dressed in ankle length dresses of lemon silk net, and coatees. They favoured gold leaf head dresses and carried bouquets of yellow tulips and asparagus fern, the gift of the groom.
The ceremony was conducted by the Rev, T. TURNBULL, and Mr. KIRKBY was assisted by Mr. George CHEGWIDDEN, his friend.
A hundred guests were entertained in the school room and occupying the central position on the festive board was a three tier cake made by the bride. The happy couple later left for the Lancashire coast.
Among their many presents was a canteen of cutlery from the employees of the Rowrah Branch of the Cleator Moor Cooperative Society where the bridegroom was employed.